Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Blogstalgia


I am weirdly realizing that this blog has been inactive far longer than it was ever active. Looking back at my archives, it seems like my most active posting period lasted only from about March 2003 (!) to August 2004--just under a year and a half--which was followed by a 6-month gap. So that makes over three years of mostly sporadic posting.

Maybe it's not surprising that the urge to blog coincides with those periods where I am, or should be, working most intensely. It started when I was making the first real push to write my dissertation; I'm feeling like resuming now that I'm trying to finish up the last revisions on that dissertation--now a book project--by the end of the month.

Looking back through the archives does have its pleasures, though. I am particularly pleased with the prescience of this particular post from May 2004:
There's also an awestruck profile of Illinois Senate candidate Barack Obama that should strike terror into the hearts of the right; this guy is good. At one point, an Illinois congresswoman goes into a meeting with George W. Bush sporting a campaign button:

On her way out, she said, President Bush noticed her "OBAMA" button. "He jumped back, almost literally...And I knew what he was thinking. So I reassured him it was Obama, with a 'b'. And I explained who he was. The President said, 'Well, I don't know him.' So I just said, 'You will.'"

No comments: