Monday, December 01, 2003

I've come to realize how much the rhythm of my blogging was determined by the structure of my life back in March when I started: having an office to go to where no one could notice how much time I was spending blogging instead of working, good several-hour stretches of time where I could blog for a while and still feel like I had enough time to get some work done, nights when I was able to stay up until 1 or 2 finshing some long entry.

As is probably obvious from my sporadic posting over the past few weeks, I haven't yet figured out that rhythm here. Job market panic mostly means that every minute spent sitting in front of my computer is one of stomach-churning anxiety rather than scholarly contemplation, and it's been hard to hack out a well-defined workspace here at home, where piles of my papers are tottering on either side and there's nowhere to put them.

Mostly, though, it's the lack of a reinforcing real-time community to keep the virtual one churning along--I'm not seeing my poetry-swap buddies on a regular basis, which at the least meant I had to write something once a month. Well--at least a swapper reunion has been planned for my trip back to the Bay Area--maybe that will give the blog a shot in the arm.

No comments: