Friday, May 16, 2003

At some point during high school I was watching Pretty in Pink with a friend of mine--someone I'd had a crush on, actually. At the very end, Duckie (Jon Cryer) and Andie (Molly Ringwald) show up at the prom together, where they run into Blane (Andrew McCarthy), the rich boy who Andie's had a crush on but who dumped her once he found out she was from the wrong side of the tracks. Blane comes up to her and apologizes, kisses her on the cheek, and walks away. Duckie--although he's in love with her--encourages Andie to go after him. She does, and there's this long shot of Duckie standing in a doorway alone watching her go.

At just this moment in the movie, my friend grabs me, points at Duckie and starts shouting, "That's you! That's you!"

According to the synopses I've found online, the movie allegedly ends with Duckie walking off with some other girl. Somehow I don't seem to remember that part.

No comments: